Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Why are we so afraid to talk about Jesus on Facebook?

With the Advent season upon us I had a few things that had been swirling about in my mind. Why are we so focused on everthing else BUT God and why is it a social "no-no" to talk about it out loud?

Facebook or social media in general is an amazing tool to evangelize through, but I feel like most of us (myself included) are missing the opportunity to really forward the Gospel and introduce people to Jesus. Instead, we are sharing and forwarding insignifigant things and celebrating other's struggles. We worship each other and then become umcomfortable about it and can't wait to see these people we worshipped fall flat on their face.

When you think about what topics get people buzzing it usually surrounds something dramatic. Someone's fall from grace, freak accident or homicide. At this point everyone has a concern and/or an opinion. It's a hot news item. But mention Jesus outside a set number of people you know believe in Him and love Him, and your post get's no love. None.

Why is that? What is not dramatic about the Son of God dying gruesomely on a cross for the forgiveness of our sins? Why do people look at you funny when you say that out loud?

Why are we celebrating the suffering of others?

Why are we so attracted to terrible things?


We have way more people than we need on all meduims (TV, Print, Radio, Internet) that are paid for their opinions on pretty much everything, and I mean everything. Pop culture is all about the "reality" of life. However, Jesus is obviously not "reality" enough. In the sports world for instance, they cover and report something until there is nothing left and in some cases a life is destroyed, then when it's done, they move onto another story, obsess over it and try to uncover every nasty detail for the same conclusion. What sometimes trumps a negative story is a story about someone who is trying to rebuild after experiencing such a pounding from the media. We all seem to eat this up over and over again. Sponsors pay for advertising since we all tune in to hear it. It's like we love to build others up and then all at once punch them in the face, kick em a bit while they are down, then offer to help them back up. Common response. Stop tuning in. Well, have you been able to do that? I think we need to do more than stop tuning in.


In the end I just wish it wasn't so awkward or unporfessional to speak of God's love in the workplace or in mainstream media. His love and mercy is so great, how can we not look past so many distractions, unplug and see His light. Feel His presense.

As always please feel free to share your thoughts or opinions. Do you agree with me? Or do you think I am off base?

8 comments:

  1. I don't get it...what do you mean by "Afraid to talk about Jesus on Facebook" do you mean why don't we post stuff like http://apusa.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Westboro-Baptist-Church.jpg on facebook?

    It sounds like your question is more like "Why do people post stupid crap on facebook?" Probably because when people are bored they get on facebook and post whatever boring thing comes to mind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dennis, I totally agree with what you are saying and think about this topic quite often myself.

    I think people don't post about Jesus out of Fear....fear of rejection, fear of judgement, fear of making others uncomfortable (or themselves). I for one, have many friends and family members that I can not freely express my love and opinions about Christ to them openly. There is that stigma when you are a Christian, of "shoving religion and your beliefs down others throats."

    There is hope that statement though too- the way I look at it in today's society is that we still have the opportunity to spread the love of Christ even if we don't openly say it flat out in a post. We live it everyday-- we live it by our example and what we are called to do, be disciples of Christ not only in our words, but our actions and works.

    It is sad that in our society, networks, and work-places we are not free to openly express our love of Christ. I can't "SPEAK" to the kids at school about Jesus and His good news, but you know what I can do....I can "SHOW" Jesus to them everyday. :) Thanks be to God for that!

    (I have tried to post 3 times, but for some reason can't open my URL, so I posted as Anonymous, but this is Amy) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I think there is something different about printed conversation on the computer than natural verbal conversation face to face. When you see your words in print, they are more permanent, more subject to scrutiny AND misinterpretation. I am more careful about what I type than what I say, usually, because it is so easy to misunderstand someone's tone of voice and intention. I do try to be a witness to the Gospel in what I choose to share on fb and what I DON"T choose to share also. I am happy to speak up front and directly to those who are interested in my faith but I also try to be respectful of the fact that being on facebook is like walking into a roomful of people, it's a social gathering in progress 24/7, and how I behave is different that how I would present myself on my own blog or website. Hope that makes sense! :) LeeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe one way to look at this, is to think "What would Jesus Post?" :) Chances are, his posts would NOT tear people down, but would rather be full of light and hope, helping people feel less alone. And he would likely not be afraid to stand up for those who are being picked on. Or to point out hypocrisy when necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what you said LeeAnn, I agree with the whole misinterpretation of the written words vs. speaking face to face and having the emotional tone in all of it (texting is included in all of this too!!). That is kind of where the Fear thing was coming from in my post too-- fear of it being taken the wrong way by friends or family, judged, and not being able to defend or have the two-way conversation with someone face to face. I am the first to stand up and defend my faith in Christ, encourage, lift up, and share His love and good news with others whenever the opportunity arises. There is definitely that fine "balance" in the social networking aspects of our lives -- I love the "WWJP" too- very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is all great! Thanks for sharing everyone. @Leo: There are two things I was really trying to speak to, One, Why do we as a society drawn to dramatic events? When a majority of the time have something to do with the suffering of others around us, and Two, why is the topic of Jesus so polarizing? Why is it so difficult to talk about him in a social forum and how sometimes it draws the ire of those around you causing that "fear" Amy was referring to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why is the topic of Jesus so polarizing?

    Jesus answered that one himself. "I come not to bring peace but a sword."

    People are afraid of "swords."

    LeeAnn :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a teenager on Facebook, I see many people posting things like "I believe in Jesus, re-post if you do too. I'm not sure if it is because I have a lot of friends who are very religious, or if these types of posts are everywhere. I personally do not re-post stuff like this. Part of my reasoning is because I feel like people who see these types of posts just jump on the bandwagon and go along with what is being said. I don't feel like it is a true demonstration of my love for Jesus and what he did for us nor that of some of my friends.

    I do have friends though that are able to post atuff about God and Jesus and they are not judged (at least openly) about it. I think it is because they show such love for God outside of Facebook that it seems only natural that it bleeds into Facebook statuses.

    ReplyDelete