Monday, October 19, 2009

Don't Hold Back

Everyone wants to leave a positive legacy behind before they leave this earth. Sometimes it is in a ego gratifying way, sometimes it is in a way marred with love, sometimes in a way given though suffering and sacrifice. One could argue love is behind all of these, even the self gratifying legacy. We are all selfish, but how can we harness that ego and do good to our brothers and sisters with it? God's love and mercy is vast, much more vast than we could ever imagine and while i am in full support of Mother Church and all her teachings, i think sometimes we as Catholics, myself included get caught up in debate all too often. As if we need to hang ourselves on the cross all the time, as if Jesus did not accomplish enough through His suffering? If we want to lead people to Christ we must do THAT first before we pound out every detail and rule and pit ourselves against one another because we have disagreements about interpretations about our Faith. Mind you, making exceptions to every rule to make life easier for you is not the way of the Lord, but to try and follow every rule and sacrifice love for one another in the process is NOT the way of the Lord. Any theologian should agree to that. Pope John Paul II challenged us to evangilize, within our Faith and beyond, but LOVE for one another cannot be compromised in this process. In my journey to full understanding of the full truth i have swayed back and forth and learned much about my shortcomings, talents and insecurities. Where I find myself now is feeling more confident than ever. I am on fire with a uncompromised Love of the Lord and ready and willing to serve my brothers and sisters in that Love. With that said, i am going to try to sellout for Christ everytime i strap on my guitar and take on my everyday duty. I am not going to hold back any longer. I am NOT going to worry about whether someone "thinks" i am performing when i provide musical accompaniment for a Liturgy or Praise event. I want to lead others to Christ. In an attempt to dedicate my life to doing so I am going to play and sing my heart out and leave everything to chance. I need to trust that God will guide me as long as I continue to serve Him, love others and get out of the way. I encourage everyone to pick up their cross, carry it willingly, accept doubt and persecution, and love all the while. It is very hard, but we must do it. We must live our Faith out loud.

P.s.
Have a positive attitude, that is something i know my great grandmother Catherine Zender used to tell our family. I did not get to know her like i wished I could have. However, Thanks to her, I have the gift of my Catholic faith, as well as many wonderful faithful family members that have been inspirations of how to lead a Faith driven life on this earth. Thanks for planting the seed Great Grandma! Save a place in Heaven for me and the rest of us!

Pax
Dennis

2 comments:

  1. Awesome...and thankyou for all you do to lead others to Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Dennis! Good advice for all of us reading this...it is so true, we are all called to evangelize in our own ways, reaching out to those around us, sharing our love and faith in Christ. Always keep that fire burning and never hold back! You have a beautiful gift and talent that you share so wonderfully with all of those around you. You are using what God has given you in a great way, giving it all back to Him with glory and praise. God Bless you Dennis-- Never hold back!! :)

    ReplyDelete